New blog posts delivered fresh to your inbox
Cat grew up in the farmlands of New Zealand, immigrating to Canada in 1993 to pursue her athletic dreams of becoming a professional skier. She achieved this goal, competing internationally for 12 years in various freestyle disciplines with top 5 results in World Cup, X Games and Nationals. She became a personal trainer in 2001, named as Canadian Trainer of the Year in 2005, 2006 and 2007 by the International Sports Science Association (ISSA). This garnered some exciting media coverage and television opportunity, leading to work in the film industry.
From there, she launched Canada’s first and longest running fitness boot camp – The Original Boot Camp – which was said to have pioneered the nations hottest fitness trend. She was named by industry peers as the ‘Top 10 Boot Camp Instructors In The World’ in 2012, the only female on the list. The Original Boot Camp was franchised in 2007 as a progressive 8 week program. Classes were offered throughout the day in towns in the Sea to Sky region.
Cat Smiley co-authored and produced certifications for fitness instructors through the International Sports Science Association, and launched a popular book and DVD series on boot camp fitness. She has been extensively featured in both national and international publications, such as Oxygen Magazine, Readers Digest, Fitness and MSN – in addition to regular guest appearances on cable TV.
Cat Smiley was selected into the final 12 trainer selection in NBC’s Biggest Loser auditions. This fueled her passion to work with extreme body transformations. Armed with a couple of celebrity endorsements for her personal training services and her reputation as an industry expert, people began traveling to Whistler to work with her.
Before she knew it, Whistler Fitness Vacations was born!
Awards and Recognition’s
National Ski Team, 1995-2009
- Cat Smiley was one of the principal cast members in the reality series Whistler Stories, airing nationally in USA and Canada in 2003.
- Her kick ass workouts are trademarked in USA and Canada.
- She has an X-Games medal! (Bronze, Skier Halfpipe)
- Journalism has always been Cat’s academic passion, and for 10 years she was nationally syndicated as a bi-weekly fitness columnist to over 300 community newspapers across Canada.
- She has broken 22 bones, had 9 hospitalized concussions and 3 knee operations.
- Her passion for travel has taken her to over 30 countries
- Smiley is really her last name and Cat is for Catherine. She was born in England.
- She has written two books – The Original Boot Camp and most recently, The Planet Friendly Diet; available in major bookstores across North America (New Society).